This morning, President Trump made a claim that has pollsters scratching their heads.
Over 90% approval rating for your all time favorite (I hope) President within the Republican Party and 52% overall. This despite all of the made up stories by the Fake News Media trying endlessly to make me look as bad and evil as possible. Look at the real villains please!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 27, 2018
For the record, Trump doesn’t come close to a 50 percent approval rating in any reputable poll.
No one disputed that (the diminishing number of) Republicans loves them some Trump, but nobody could find a poll that shows this, although some have suggested he may have seen the Gallup weekly tracking poll and somehow came up with last week’s disapproval number as his approval number. Since then, Gallup’s latest weekly tracking poll has come out, and his numbers are down. He’s now 13 points underwater, as opposed to 10 last week.
This week: Disapprove 54 Approve 41
Last Week: Disapprove 52 Approve 42
The poll goes through Sunday, but I suspect the full effect of his petty feud with a dead American hero will have a negative effect on his numbers. We’ll see.
That time Trump didn’t get what he wanted from McCain
By the way, it looks like someone has identified the cause of the feud: McCain fought against a federal loan guarantee Trump wanted. Fascinating thread:
A little thread on an episode between John McCain and Donald Trump…from 1996 when McCain fought a federal loan guarantee that Trump very much wanted….
— Shane Goldmacher (@ShaneGoldmacher) August 27, 2018
Real Clear Politics’ polling average has Trump down 9.6 points.
Five Thirty Eight’s aggregate has Trump down 11.5 points.
GOP has spreadsheet of the hell to come if they lose midterms
Republicans continue to worry about losing Congress despite having a strong economy. And if that happens, there are likely to be a ton of investigations over the long list of wrongdoing perpetrated by Republicans since they took power.. How long? Some frightened GOPers have worked up a spreadsheet on the hell to come, Axios reports on the investigations they foresee:
- President Trump’s tax returns
- Trump family businesses — and whether they comply with the Constitution’s emoluments clause, including the Chinese trademark grant to the Trump Organization
- Trump’s dealings with Russia, including the president’s preparation for his meeting with Vladimir Putin
- The payment to Stephanie Clifford — a.k.a. Stormy Daniels
- James Comey’s firing
- Trump’s firing of U.S. attorneys
- Trump’s proposed transgender ban for the military
- Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin’s business dealings
- White House staff’s personal email use
- Cabinet secretary travel, office expenses, and other misused perks
- Discussion of classified information at Mar-a-Lago
- Jared Kushner’s ethics law compliance
- Dismissal of members of the EPA board of scientific counselors
- The travel ban
- Family separation policy
- Hurricane response in Puerto Rico
- Election security and hacking attempts
- White House security clearances
Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of people.
Liked this post? Follow this blog to get more.